- Yusuf Maitama Sule was born on the 1st of October 1929.
- He was a Nigerian politician, orator, diplomat and an elder-statesman.
- He was the Dan masanin Kano.
- He led the Nigerian delegation to the Conference of Independent African States in 1960.
- In 1976, he became the Federal Commissioner of public complaints, a position that made him the nation's pioneer ombudsman.
- He started from a humble beginning; his father served the then powerful Kano kingmaker, Madaki Mahmudu.
- In early 1979, he was the presidential candidate of the National Party of Nigeria but lost to Shehu Shagari.
- He was appointed Nigeria's representative to the United Nations after the coming of civilian rule in September 1979.
- He was fondly called the 'Golden Voice from the North' because of his oratorical prowess.
- He suffered pneumonia and a chest infection.
- He died on 3rd July 2017, aged 87.
Maitama Sule’s Quotes
“As we overcame the crisis in the First Republic, so shall we overcome the crisis in the present Nigeria”.
“Therefore, I have a dream that Nigeria will soon be great; I have a dream that Nigeria will be a united country, a prosperous country that will take her proper place in the comity of nations and will lead the rest of Africa, inspire Africans all over the world.
“The problem in Nigeria is lack of love; our problem is tribalism and religion. Islam and Christian faith teach the same moral values,”
“Everyone has a gift from God. The Northerners are endowed by God with leadership qualities. The Yoruba man knows how to earn a living and has diplomatic qualities. The Igbo man is gifted in trade, commerce and technology innovation. God created with a purpose and gifts.”