Today is the International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation.
According to UN, it is estimated that about 200 million girls and women alive today have undergone some form of female genital mutilation (FGM); and is carried out on girls from infancy to 15 years.
Females that undergo FGM, experience complications like excessive bleeding, severe pain, infections, and difficulty in passing urine. They also suffer bigger complications which dangerously affects the sexual, reproductive and mental health.
The goal since 2015, is to end Female Genital Mutilation by 2030 and the target is to Eliminate all harmful practices, such as child, early and forced marriage and female genital mutilation.
To find out more about Female Genital Mutilation, we have compiled a booklist for you.
- Female Genital Muitilation in Bere, Oyo state by Adeniji Adeneye
- Female Genital Mutilation by Comfort Momoh
- The Unmerciful Cut: Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Emmanuel Ebah
- So the Path Does not Die by Pede Hollist
- Cutting the Rose: Female Genital Mutilation by Efua Dorkenoo
- What was Never Said by Emma Craigie
For for more books, please visit our Community Library at 196 Awolowo Road, Ikoyi, Lagos.