Reading to children gives them a sense of story and leads to a better performance in their school. It makes them to have excellent communication skills and enables them to be life –long readers.
A lot of mothers have wondered how to instill a love for books in their children without being too pushy and doing it the wrong way. Well, here’s how to make your children love to read books.
Tips to make Reading Fun for your Kids
- Create a cozy reading area with things your child would like. Do not make the setting too serious; make it a place your child would love to stay in.
- Make sure that your child is reading books that are appropriate for his reading level. Do not stock your child’s library with books that too challenging for him.
- Spice up the reading a little by introducing audiobooks to your children. Audio books help build vocabulary and background knowledge about things.
- Read to your child, not your child reading to you.
- You can allow your child to move about while she is reading.
- After reading, go back, look at the pictures again and discuss the story with your child.
- Find out the difficult words, see if your child can relate to them and explain the meaning to them.
- Pick books of different genre for your children.
- Treat your children to book gifts as rewards. Do not present books to them as assignments or punishments