Bilingual Children are able to speak two languages with the fluency of a native speaker. Most Nigerians are bilinguals which makes it possible for most Nigerian Children to be bilinguals.
Raising a child with excellent bilingual ability can be a big challenge sometimes. So, here are some useful tips.
Tips for raising a Bilingual Child
- Equip yourself with the right bilingual Materials as a parent or teacher. This would make you well prepared and develop your child’s language proficiency.
- Start teaching your child from her early years which is form age 1 – 6. This is because it is the best time and the brain is ready for language acquisition.
- Set clear goals, would you rather your child is orally fluent or in writing.
- In order to achieve excellence, you have to seize each Day because a child’s bilingual development is a long process in which one has to be consistent.
- Make use of a lot of games as children love it and it is a fun way to learn.
- Engage in fact or fictional story telling as children love this also and it will enhance their language.
- Keep a journal and record your child’s bilingual progress.
- Be Patient.