Obinna Makata was born in 1981 and is from Ezimo, Enugu State, Nigeria. He graduated from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, in 2007; where he majored in sculpture. Makata is a full time studio artist who lives and works in Abuja and is the Founder and Creative Director of Mma-Nka Studio. He is very talented, he works as a sculptor, painter, and does mixed media practices. Makata’s work focuses on the fading aspects of traditional African culture and values in contemporary society.
Obinna has participated actively in fifteen group exhibitions since 2003; His first solo exhibition was themed ‘Metahistories’. He later began an artist residency at the African Artists’ Foundation in October 2012.
Makata has featured in various group exhibitions like:
- The Stide. National Museum Enugu. A group exhibition by selected artists from University of Nigeria Nsukka (2003).
- Image of Africa. Alliance Francaise Enugu. A group exhibition of Kambani art (2004).
- Dreams Alive 3. New Art Theatre, University of Nigeria, Nsukka. A departmental exhibition by the Fine and Applied Art Department (2005).
- Away But Not Gone. Ana Gallery, University of Nigeria, Nsukka. A departmental exhibition by the Fine and Applied Art Department (2006).
- African Heritage. Pendulum Art Gallery, Lagos. Exhibition by Pan African Circle of Artists(PACA) (2007).
- Blossom. Yaradua Centre Abuja. An Innagural Exhibition by the Society of Nigerian Artists,Abuja Branch (2009).