"There is no substitute for books in the life of a child." — May Ellen Chase, author and educator
Underfunding means that many Nigerian public schools are unable to provide libraries for their students. Studies have shown that reading skills are essential to a child’s future success and that a lack of quality instructional and learning materials leads to poor academic performance. Through the Oasis Library Project, ZODML establishes libraries in local government primary schools to provide pupils in these schools with a space in which they can discover, learn, and grow.
These libraries stock fiction titles and subject textbooks (many written by Nigerian authors), as well as resources for teachers. A variety of learning and literacy activities take place at the Oasis Libraries, for which each school schedules an hour-long class period to ensure all pupils gain access to their resources. National Youth Service Corps members are assigned to Oasis libraries to work with the pupils and we partner with teachers and parents to support their efforts and build community involvement.
ZODML currently has Oasis Libraries in 19 schools located in Lagos State’s Eti-Osa Local Government Area, Yaba Local Council Development Aread (LCDA) and Lagos Mainland Local Government Area. We also have Oasis Libraries in Awka South and Njikoka Local Government Area in Anambra State.
- St. George’s Girls Primary School, Falomo, South-West Ikoyi, Lagos (established in 2004)
- Hope Primary School, McEwen Road, Ikoyi, Lagos (2008)
- Jinadu Primary School, Akanbi Damola Street, South-West Ikoyi, Lagos (2010)
- Army Children Primary School, Obalende, Lagos (2010)
- Ikoyi Primary School, Ikoyi, Lagos (2010)
- Araromi Baptist Primary School, Lagos Island (2014)
- Lagos Island Local Government Primary School, Lagos (2014)
- Anwar-Ul-Islam Primary School, Elegbata, Lagos (2014)
- Anwar-Ul-Islam Girls Primary School, Olushi, Lagos (2014)
- Holy Cross Catholic Primary School, Lagos (2014)
- Akoka Nursery and Primary School, Lagos (2015)
- Kadara Primary School,Lagos (2015)
- Okobaba Salvation Army Primary School, Lagos (2015)
- Christ Church Primary School, Lagos (2015)
- Lagos Mainland Local Government Primary School, Lagos (2015)
- Obele Odan Primary School, Lawanson, Lagos(2016)
- Alwajud Primary School, Lawanson, Lagos (2016)
- Aguntasholo Primary School, Lagos (2016)
- Animashaun Primary School, Lagos (2016)
- Community Primary School, Amaubia, Anambra (2017)
- Igwedimma Primary School, Amaubia, Anambra (2017)
- Ezi-Awka Primary School, Awka, Anambra (2017)
- Uru-Okwe Primary School, Enugwu-Ukwu, Anambra (2017)
- Ozalla Primary School, Abagana, Anambra (2017)
These 24 libraries currently serve over 11,000 pupils and have seen nearly 14,000 pass through their doors.